Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Vyshyvanka Day

I was rushing from one thing to the next. No sooner was I done with my sketch in Merrion Square that I was heading off to the GPO to sketch at the Vyshyvanka march.

I learned that the embroidery is different for different parts of Ukraine, in motifs and also in colours. As this march was mostly for Ukrainian refugees and people in Ireland, I didn't understand most of the speeches and I didn't know the songs. Some of the ladies were delighted to be included in my sketch, others moved before I could finish, so there's a few composite people here. And the vertical lines on the right of the sketch is my very abstract version of one of the pillars at the GPO. That's all I had time for, after coming to the rescue of a young woman who was being harrassed by an old Irish codger who just want someone to argue with. He was one of these men that come really close to you when they're talking and want to be right about everything. Well, he quickly figured out that arguing about Irish history with me wasn't such a good idea and he soon disappeared. Where are the gardai when you need them, you might ask? Well, they were too busy chatting amongst themselves on the other side of the road to notice anything!







No comments:

Post a Comment