Thursday, May 12, 2022

Between York Street and Bishop Street

The journey continues. Documenting Dublin as it is, before it all disappears. It's happening so fast.

So I started in Network CafĂ© on Aungier Street one of the new places in the area. Clean lines, all simple and nice. Constant flow of customers coming in and out. And now I'm looking at the menu, and I'm thinking I must go back for lunch! I worked in direct watercolour, well drawing with the brush really. But I needed that to settle myself.


Then, onto the side of Lucky Duck, a pub. I was too early, it wasn't open. But they have this amazing collection of little Dutch houses on the shelves in the window. And also big wooden barrels on the street, so I could stand there and not have to hurt my arm trying to hold my sketchbook and paint at the same time.

After that, I did a little reccie at the side of the DIT building, found the Jacobs biscuits sign on the wall, but didn't linger due to the pissy smell on that street. So I found a sunny spot across from the Lucky Duck, sat myself down and sketched away, buildings, street signs, ATM, anything but people and cars. You have to make choices when you sketch. My goal is to document disappearing Dublin, the buildings that look like they'll be gone in a few years' time, replaced by another hotel. And then the tourists will stop coming because there'll be nothing original about Dublin any more.

Pat joined me and a lady came over to chat to us. She used to knit stuffed toys and figurines. She told us all about it. She even did a nativity scene once, the donkey being the hardest element to knit. And a Paddington bear too. A little boy saw it and took it home. Footballers and the football even. Now her hands can't knit anymore. That will happen to us all. But she wasn't sad. Good for her!


Then I had to try Bao House. Very authentic. Not so sure about the healthy tea, but the classic bao was delicious.








No comments:

Post a Comment