Friday, May 06, 2022

From Bow Lane to York Street

Next section of our journey. It's lovely to have a small area to explore. I check it out on Google Maps first. Then walk up and down for a few minutes


I spotted Bow Lane on Google Maps. I had never noticed it from the street before. I knew there was a narrow street sweeping from the back of the Stephen's Green shopping centre, but never had a reason to walk it. I've lived in Dublin since 1986. And I still get so excited when I discover a little corner I didn't know existed. I found this spot particularly interesting, with all the walls and chimneys popping up behind that yard, which I realised was a Dublin City Council centre for street sweepers. They all turned up with their wheelbarrows around 10:30. And since sketching this, I now keep spotting on the streets the little motorised sweeper that is peeping behind the big skip. The little things in life that make me happy!


After that, it was time for a break and a cup of tea in the Carmelite center, Whitefriar community centre.  A quiet room with high ceilings and dark wood paneling. I didn't have the time to stay there and sketch a big piece, so I focused instead on the window sill that I could see from my seat. Sometimes, you zoom out, sometimes you zoom in.


Next, the corner of Whitefriar Place and Aungier Street. There used to be a Starbucks inside that beautiful building on the right. It's closed now. I do hope the gorgeous architectural exterior will be maintained at least, whatever the next tennant will be. Across the way, the Swan Pub, with an outside terrace where we spent a lovely moment in the sun!


But of course, what I notice are the shoes hanging from the line. I know what that means. The flats are just around the corner and across the way, and yet, so close to the posh shopping streets and tourist attractions. You can switch from quiet middle-class to drug-related gangland territory just by crossing a street. It's one of the things I love about Dublin. But you just have to have your wits about you!


New apartment blocks, bland, ugly. And yet, on the ground floor, they chose to keep the old signs and shop windows of the old businesses that were here before. I wonder who bought these hats and fur coats? How these streets have changed since then.



I can't resist one more sketch before I leave. I need more people in this sketchbook, and more direct watercolour! 


The only sketch I remembered to photograph on location!


2 comments:

  1. You are a mine of information about Dublin! I want to see the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring you with me and you can write the book!!

      Delete