Monday, May 16, 2022

Palace Bar

We were supposed to be sketching at College Green, producing a modern version of a Malton print of the old Irish House of Parliament near Trinity College. And I've just read something fascinating on Wikipedia. It was the first purpose-built bicameral house of parliament, built in 1729. But the weather was pretty miserable, heavy showers spoiling the party. And there's nowhere around there for shelter. 

I tried a couple of pubs and restaurants, some were closed, some were too busy. Then I decided to try the Palace Bar on Fleet Street. I went into the back and it was quiet. I looked up at the glass roof and there was nowhere else I wanted to be. Yes, it did get busy as the afternoon wore on. A couple of sketchers stopped by to say hi, but they thought it was too busy for their liking. A shame, it was so beautiful. I didn't care. I kept on painting until I was done. Towards the end, there was a family group who sat not far from me, and the two women were loud, you know that kind of laughter that drives you mad? Exactly that! Thankfully I was done by then!








No comments:

Post a Comment