Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Mountjoy Square

A sunny afternoon in Mountjoy square. It was cold. It was in April. But now we're in May, and it's still cold. Typical. It's hard to be an urban sketcher in Ireland. Even with woolly hats and gloves.

I like to mix it up when I'm sketching. I love drawing directly with my Fude pen. But I also love direct watercolour. I didn't come up with any of these ideas all by myself. It's just the tools used by some of my urban sketching heroes.

So I started with direct watercolour. Did two different scenes. The first one, I managed to keep my colours to a minimum. Cherry blossoms were at their peak. Linden trees were that wonderful light mint green. And there is a tree that's always the last to pop its leaves and right now, it's still long bare branches. I forget what it's called. People were enjoying their time in the park, children, families, couples, dog owners, even a small group of druggies - there was a kind of needle exchange program going on - I didn't linger.





And then I felt the need to move to my black ink, fude fountain pen and a pentel brush pen. And Alice sitting in the middle of my sketch!


No comments:

Post a Comment