Monday, August 30, 2021

The Bridges of Dublin City - South Quays 1

Here we go again, I hear you say!

So we loved sketching the bridges of Dublin City so much that we decided to start again! From the South quays this time, offering a completely different perspective, and starting at the last bridge!

And this time, I made the effort to place the bridges in order!

The East Link Bridge. I was lucky to see (and sketch!) it lift twice in the time I was there. Never mind that I had already drawn a truck on the lifting section! It was very exciting!


Then I decided to sketch the Point Theatre (now called 3 Arena) and the strange new block behind it with the blue exo-skeleton. A mix of old and new. Not sure it works, but it's better than razing the old to the ground.



We thought we had picked a quiet spot, but I turned around and there was a fashion shoot in progress. The models must have been frozen in their gym gear, but I was more interested in sketching the photographer, who was very active!


And when I was done with that, I realised that there was lots of little sailing boats on the Liffey, right behind where the models were standing. Last summer camp before kids go back to school!


I then walked towards the Samuel Beckett bridge. A few of the other sketchers spotted things like the dome of the Customs House, and the three faces of the main arch of the bridge, catching light differently. So I incorporated those elements in my sketch.


The Seán O'Casey pedestrian bridge, with Liberty Hall, the spire and the Customs House on the right. You can also see a glimpse of the Loopline bridge in the background, and the modern glass building that encases a church on Abbey Street. I don't know much about it, but found this article. And to the left, Gerard's café. I remember getting a lovely chocolate twist there!


A closer view of the Seán O'Casey bridge, all out of proportions, with the CHQ building in the background.


And here are my urban sketcher photos.





Pat & Louise took photos of me! Yes, woolly hat and mittens in August. There's a cold breeze by the river!



No comments:

Post a Comment