Saturday, August 21, 2021

Forestry - never waste paper, even if it's 100% cotton!

As you may or may not remember, I wasn't 100% happy with how my half sheet "Forestry" painting worked out. Sometimes, let's face it, failure can be paralysing, as in "can I still paint?" "do I have any talent?" "is it worth the effort" "maybe I could just watch tv instead?". But then, all you have to do is flip the page and paint on the reverse side. Actually I often find that my paintings work out better when I do that! I don't really get the "sizing" technical jargon of watercolour paper. So if a painting is never going to hang up on a wall, I just paint on the other side. It's kind of liberating! Try it!

And I had fun with this lovely green from White Nights watercolours. I think I used Emerald Green (PG7). Or was it Green (PG8)? I used it as a soft background greenery. Then lots of Perylene green, Green Apatite Genuine, probably some ultramarine, burnt umber and neutral tint to give these big fir trees some volume!


This photo shows you the size better (maybe? maybe not?). The thumbnails on the quarter sheet are about postcard size each. So half sheet is a good bit bigger, but not so intimidating any more!
















No comments:

Post a Comment