Sunday, August 01, 2021

Mountpleasant Square

Life would be wonderful if we had this lovely weather for a month every year, rather than a week! But we're an island on the edge of Europe in the North Atlantic! So, when the weather is good, we just make the most of it! It sure is a sign of climate change when Ireland gets a heat wave. We've been so lucky not to be affected by the horrific floodings that plagued Germany and Belgium over the last few weeks. It will be interesting to see if this will have an impact on the elections in Germany. I hope it does. It's about time climate change was the number one political topic. We are so fed up with empty promises from politicians, promises to change things in 10 or 20 years' time! And I know that we all have to do our bit. Eat less meat, use public transport, fly less. And I can't say that I'm perfect on any of those counts. But I do try. And I do my best.

Anyways, let's come back to that lovely warm day!
We met up around Mountpleasant Square, a lovely area in Ranelagh Village, with beautiful Georgian houses, and a sleepy feel on a Sunday afternoon. I tend to like the less picturesque places, though, so I went to an alleyway at the back of the square, with a view of the dome of Rathmines Church in the distance. The story about that dome is that it was a cancelled order - the dome had been ordered for somewhere in Russia, but when the revolution came, the order was cancelled and we got it instead, hopefully at a good discount!!


Here is the Urban Sketchers shot, where you can see how I cleverly left space on my page so I could write when I got home. Plus it was a boring brick wall and I didn't want it to dominate the sketch!


No comments:

Post a Comment