Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Composition and colours

I'm in full exploration mode. I was reading a quote from the Learn To Paint Podcast.  Full disclosure, I haven't actually listened to any of the podcasts. I'm not really a podcast person. My brain can't listen with attention and do something else at the same time. Even when I'm walking or sitting by the pool (I don't even remember when I last did that!), I don't listen to music. I like to hear everything that's going on around me. 

But the quote was interesting. I found it on Instagram. It was an interview with mixed media artist Laura Horn and it says "New can be very exciting. New can also create a lot of variables that then need to be solved. Maybe pursuing the new is what you need to be excited about your art. But if it's bringing anxiety or frustration in your learning, know that it's absolutely OK to slow down and cozy in one particular area. It's OK to explore the same themes over and over and over again."

So I felt good about my explorations of the same themes. It's good to be reminded I don't need to do something new all the time! That exploring the same image even can lead to lots of fun and interesting results!

Here are some of the things you'll find in my (non-urban-sketching) sketchbooks. The urban-sketching sketchbooks are something else entirely. Some day, I will find a way to connect the two!





No comments:

Post a Comment