Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Outside Richmond Barracks

It was the 4th of February. A hint of spring? Not really, with that bitter wind sweeping from across the field, not even a field, just short grass. While everyone else sketched the Richmond Barracks building, I turned around, and decided I wanted to draw the flats across the wasteland. I have sketched them before. Nearly 4 years ago. Hard to believe! Just before the first Covid lockdown? It feels like a lifetime ago! I think I'm a different person. 

But anyways, the flats in Inchicore. They are so typical Dublin Social Housing. They're in bad need of insulation and modernisation. Apparently, new flats are going to be built on the square green between them and Richmond Barracks. Will it make things any better? Probably not. But I'm just glad I drew them, with their "gullwing" roofs, and circular external staircases, in my A4 landscape sketchbook. Las page of the book. I must film a little video. I'm quite happy with this sketchbook that I started in Dun Laoghaire, on my first outing after my broken foot. 


It felt felt so cold that a whole bunch of us went to the pub early. The Saint - a very nice pub. And I sketched a little bit more. Quite pleased with this colour pencil sketch.


Not so pleased with this one, where I was talking to people at the same time, so I wasn't focussing on my sketch.


No comments:

Post a Comment