Tuesday, February 13, 2024

McNally's newsagents and LovinSpoon café

Dublin is changing. Some say it's for the better. Others are not so sure. Some of the old Dublin is not particularly salubrious, but it's still what makes the city special. This little newsagent, not far from Temple Street Children's Hospital, was called McNally's, now it's Day To Day, and it's lost its bright yellow shopfront. Thankfully, the yellow and black tiling is still there.

A few of us stood on the corner of Great Denmark Street and Hill Street on a cold January morning to sketch this. It's not a place where I would have stood on my own. So glad of the community of Dublin Sketchers, who make these things possible

 

Beforehand, I had spent a bit of time in Lovinspoon café with Laura and other sketchers who arrived. I just let my pen dance on the page, some in blind drawing, some in my more usual style.



Also like these as individual pages before I added colour. Maybe I shouldn't have added colour?



And again with this one, maybe it was better without colour?


No comments:

Post a Comment