Saturday, January 21, 2023

Stones

From photos from Killiney, Beara Peninsula and Lake Tahoe (photo by Uma Kelkar), done in a Saunders Waterford Hot Press sketchbook. I don't normally paint on hot press. But for stones, it seems to be the best surface. I can paint wet in wet without losing too much definition!

The first ones on the left were too diagrammatic, painted without really looking. Then I did the two stones at the bottom left, and felt that the wet in wet worked really well to show the lit side vs the dark side, but without too sharp an edge - most natural stones are curved rather than chiselled.

So I did I few more at the top right from photos from the Beara peninsula. I was happy with the result, but felt I needed something faster. Painting one stone at a time is never going to work for me in the long run. Still, I need to start learning somewhere. So will definitely attempt this on Cold Press paper. Lots of Sennelier Warm Grey and Sennelier Grey.

The one at the bottom right is from Uma Kelkar's Lake Tahoe painting. I can't quite get how she painted it in an abstract way, and yet it still looks three-dimensional. And to me the shadow colour is a green mix.




From the same painting of Lake Tahoe by Uma Kelkar, done in a small Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook. I decided not to paint the decking that was in the original. Learning a lot from copying maestro Kelkar!


Previous explorations



And while I'm in that frame of mind:


No comments:

Post a Comment