Thursday, January 26, 2023

A boat on a lake (I think!)

I didn't take the reference picture for this, so I'm not sure if it's a lake, or the ocean.  But anyways, I changed the composition quite a bit from the reference photo.



I cropped the photo a good bit, losing the other boats which were on the left. I also removed part of the pontoon, as it was cutting the flow of the image, and then I extended to the right in Procreate so that the boat would sit on a rule-of-thirds gridline on the left. I was seriously worried about that boat, I have to say. I drew it loosely, but it was looking nothing like it should for a good while. And at one point, it looked like it was floating on top of the hill. Then I took an old hotel card or credit card and scratched that white line of the left of the boat, and a few lines to the right, and a line where the light hits the prow (is that what it's called?). Probably just the line on the left would have been enough, but once I pick up a credit card, it's hard to stop!!!

Don't ask about the triangular shape in front of the pontoon. At some stage, it was a rowboat, but it was just an actor in a supporting role, so it was left unfinished!

Did I have a plan? Oh Yes I did! Here are my Procreate doodles and my handwritten notes to prove it. Did it all go according to plan? Not quite, but I managed to make the boat look like a boat, and for that alone, I'm very proud!

(Original photo by Uma Kelkar, but you're only seeing a small piece of it)



No comments:

Post a Comment