Wednesday, January 11, 2023

James Street & Legit café

The area around James Street is very different from Thomas street. All of a sudden, you walk from the hustle and bustle of a commercial street, with shops and pubs and street traders, and all of a sudden, the footpaths become really quiet. You're in Guinness territory. There are a lot of beautiful old red-bricks, with the doors blocked by two sets of gates. The windows are dirty and you can't see what's inside. There's no lights, no obvious activity, unless you walk by one of the big open gates. Sometimes, you see a glimpse over the high walls, with pipes and these giant bottles that look like fuel containers for space rockets. It's all a bit empty, and yet a reminder of the importance of alcohol in the Irish economy, with not just Guinness,  but also some distilleries. I find it fascinating, but to be honest, I also think it's a bit sad. All these amazing buildings could house so many people (with a bit of work, granted) and there could be life on the streets.

There are not many cafés around there, so we were in Groundstate café again. Good views from the windows, and also tables outside for an uninterrupted view. I was sitting outside for a good while, but when I got cold and was looking for a table inside, I was faced with lots of "reserved" signs. It was quite early, before 12 anyways, but I was told that they were reserving these tables for larger groups coming in for lunch and I couldn't sit there. There was about 10 of us, if not more, dotted all around the place, and consuming. But the manager didn't want to accommodate me. So I walked away. I seem to do that a lot these days. I just don't have the energy to battle anymore. But it takes its toll on me all the same. Where is the joy gone?

PS: not sure yet if I will add colour to this or not. I wanted to draw, so, from that perspective, I achieved what I wanted.


I headed to Legit on Meath street. It might not have the same panoramic view, but the service is always friendly, and their matcha latte is delicious. And the veggie breakfast bap even better. So I settled and sketched and soothed my nerves. It always works. Maybe I need a sketchbook on my bedside table to pick up when I wake at 5 am and my mind starts racing?

And to celebrate the runthrough of Sketchbook Design, I left lots of space around my sketches to add design elements!


No comments:

Post a Comment