Friday, January 20, 2023

Kasugai

Another morning view. I feel this is much more how I want to paint. It's probably not as pretty, but I'm happy with the atmosphere and the movement of it all. 

I've been wanting to paint this view since the day I took the photo from our hotel room in Kasugai, a suburb of Nagoya in Japan. I know I was looking at an industrial landscape, with chimneys spewing steam or smoke, but the light slowly emerging behind the mountains made it all magical. Maybe it was because we were going to spend more time with my good friend Shinobu, going on a weekend trip together to Takayama. Some day we'll get back to Japan, and I would like to spend some time roaming the streets of Kasugai and sketch it all. I sketched virtually on those streets during the pandemic, and I found beauty around every corner. The urban sketcher in me is longing for a new sketching adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment