Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Coliemore Harbour

I must go for a walk around Coliemore harbour again. It's such a scenic spot, particularly in the morning, when the sun is making everything glow. So this was my sunrise view for Uma Kelkar's Emerge workshop. I worked from a photo I took last winter I think, given the position of the sun. 
This square version is my final crop. Although I liked the way the quay looked in the more rectangular version, it was taking away from the focus of this painting. I haven't actually cut the painting yet. This is just a digital edit! I might look at it in a week's time and decide I like it the way it is!

This is very different from my usual style, but there were so many straight lines and architectural details that I couldn't paint it any softer than this. It is tight. And although there are a lot of elements I am happy with, I feel it doesn't reflect who I am. But every so often, I feel the need to paint something with houses and stuff, just to prove to myself that I can do it. The fact that the walls are white makes it difficult for me to soften them. If they were a darker colour, I could probably do it. But to be honest, I don't think I want to do another version.

Colours used were mostly Monte Amiata Natural Sienna, Quin Burnt Scarlet, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue, Neutral Tint, Burnt Umber. And a bit of Lavender. That's quite restrained for me.And I do like the subtle range of values. I love it when a class makes me think about what I want out of painting. This is exactly what I needed at this time.

 

My notes: my plan and the changes to my plan!



Here was an earlier version, where a bit of dark wall found itself right in the middle of my painting, so it had to be softened. 



No comments:

Post a Comment