Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Bottles

Bottles are amazing objects, transparent, cylindrical, symmetrical, they reflect light, they distort what's in front of them or behind. You need to be in the right frame of mind to sketch them.
So what do we have here? A bottle of homemade beer and a glass with the same, a bottle of Seedlip Botanical (alcohol-free gin), an empty bottle of umeshū (Japanese plum wine - my favourite drink, when I can get it!), a nearly-empty bottle of Gunpowder gin (we bought it last summer for Deb's visit!!), and a glass of unknown origin.
I painted the trio in the middle from life, the other items from a Zoom session with a few friends who've been keeping in touch all through the lockdown, sketching together every week. We've sketched Easter bonnets, views from windows, plants, teapots, each other, things we've baked... It's kept us sane. I will always be grateful for that weekly chat and banter. And we will be continuing until it's safe for us all to meet in real life again! We're doing wood objects next! I'm going to have a think about that - the only thing I can think of right now is a wooden stick I bought for our dog - he's never taken to it, so maybe it's time to sketch it before it goes in the bin!

1 comment: