Saturday, March 21, 2020

The view from my window


What do urban sketchers do when there is a pandemic and everyone has been asked to stay at home?
Well, we sketch of course. I can't claim that my sketches will be a reportage of the lockdown, or that I will be telling witty and interesting stories.

This is just the view from my window. And while the skies are still grey (and it's still so raw outside), there are signs of spring. Like the chestnut on the left, leafing in leaps and bounds. And reminding me that life goes on. And that I am so lucky to have this view from my house. Some urban sketchers are already at the stage where they are sketching the toilet bowl and the last roll of loo paper. Maybe I will keep sketching this view. Or maybe not. There is a cherry blossom in the neighbour's garden at the back. It's not ready yet, but when it is, I will be at the window!

I sketched this view at a quiet time. Most days, the park is full of children playing, and not keeping to the 2-metre distance recommendation, with not a parent in sight - I can just hear it in my head: "go out and play with your friends while I finish that glass of pinot grigio - I have a headache with you kids running around the house". In fairness, a lot of parents are doing their best. And it's challenging. Just like it's challenging for us when our dog runs to other dog owners to check out their pockets (generally full of treats) and we have to call him back from a safe distance - he did learn rocket recall at Doggie Training with the DSPCA, he just chooses not to listen sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment