Sunday, March 01, 2020

Into the distance

The biggest difficulty I have with trying to paint larger is that I panic - I fear that paint is drying too fast, so I just try to cover as much ground as I can without thinking. What I need to do instead is paint one shape at a time, while the paint is still wet, and active, so I can get the best out of the properties of watercolour. I'm not there yet, I'm afraid! I just have to take it one step at a time!

So here is a thumbnail first, based on a view from the Roc in Montséret, looking down at the vineyards and hills in the distance :

Then I rushed and did the big version (380x550mm) and panicked and didn't even follow the composition I had planned (the house is too close to the centre). And I've got mostly hard edges, which wasn't planned! But I did manage to concentrate the detail and the brighter colours and the highest value contrast where I wanted it. So that's a start!


So I went back to a smaller version (slightly smaller than A4 - I haven't measured it). And that's closer to what I want,with yummy watercolour interactions,  except the house is a funny shape. So now all I need to do is apply what I've learned and start again! But my mind is already racing to the next thing!! I think I lack the stamina to try a painting over and over until I'm 100% happy with it! Or I like my journey to be meandering rather than a straight line. That's all right though. There are no rules!


And here is a picture with my hand in the middle, not to show you how old my hand has become, obviously, but for size comparison purposes! But now I'm looking at my hand. And I bet you are too. How is it that my hands have got old all of a sudden!


No comments:

Post a Comment