Thursday, October 31, 2019

St Teresa's courtyard, Clarendon Street


A beautiful sunny morning in Dublin - the courtyard of St Teresa's Church, on Clarendon Street, is a haven of peace in the busy city. And it's so interesting to sketch. I've sketched it before, but from a different angle. And I think I could go back again and again and always find something that catches my eye!

This time, I wanted to explore the jumble of shapes of the various buildings, and how the light hit the higher levels, and the cast shadows, which are not very strong at this time of the year, even on a sunny day.

I've just finished two landscape Moleskine sketchbooks, so I'm moving back to my big Stillman & Birn, which is really handy to hold. It was a cold day, so the paint wasn't drying very well, but I managed to even add shadows. I kept the downpipes white because they looked more interesting than black. And also the lower part of the sketch, with the lady on the phone - She actually stood there for quite a while, on the phone, with her back to me. Maybe she needed the quiet contemplation of this beautiful spot to make an important phone call? Maybe she had just received some bad news? Or maybe she had popped out of the office to make a call to a friend? Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment