Monday, October 28, 2019

Dame Street and Dublin Castle

No plan, no focus. Just draw. Definitely a case where thinking about my story for 5 minutes would have saved me a lot of time! And I should definitely have used the narrow edge of the pen when I tried to do the side of the crazy modern building on the left. It would have been an ok sketch without it. All part of the journey!! That plaza is a good spot to sketch, with stone benches and City Hall on the right and lots of interesting buildings to the left, which I faded out on purpose. Also plenty of street furniture, people and bicycles.


And then, for the second sketch, I did just what I wasn't supposed to do - crazy pen lines over the green of the trees that ruin the effect. Should have kept sky holes instead!! I must go back, because I love how the trees frame the entrance to the courtyard into Dublin Castle, by the printworks. And the building behind the wall is really interesting.


But you know what, I was outside in October. I was sketching. The sun was shining. A lady chatted to me as I was drawing, which is always nice, but then distracting. A few sketchers stopped by too. And I really enjoyed myself. And after all that, I had a slice of carrot cake and a hot chocolate. And got to look through everybody's sketchbooks and chat. What's not to like!

No comments:

Post a Comment