Friday, November 01, 2019

Cars

Never mind trees and skies. I can generally do these, if I pay attention. Cars, now, that's a different matter! I struggle with keeping them rooted to the ground. I tried to trace some from a magazine, but my tracing paper is a bit heavy. Still, the main lesson for me is that the rules of perspective apply to cars too. If I can remember that, I'll be all right! And then the fact that if you get a side view when a car is parked, the length of the car can be less than half the width. Not sure if I can remember all of that!
My reference for drawing cars is Jim Richards. He's amazing at simplifying them, and yet making them look real. If I can do that, I'd be super happy. I'm not aiming to be a Lapin or Paul Heaston! I even got time to practise when going to my GP for my flu vaccine. I just arrived 10 minutes early!!



Before going to the hairdressers the other day, I took a few photos of cars parked on the street. I tried to sketch from the photos, but I found that all my drawings were too much like the car was on a slope, which is wasn't! It was getting a bit frustrating. But it shows that drawing again and again without a plan doesn't teach me anything, except knowing that I was doing it wrong!!




So I had a quick look at this video that a friend suggested for me, and I learned a lot, particularly about the windscreen. So next I need to practise along with the video so I learn it with my hands rather than just my head!





No comments:

Post a Comment