Saturday, November 09, 2019

Sketching with SPAB Ireland

Dublin Sketchers and SPAB Ireland often sketch together - discovering new and interesting places, like we did last Saturday, with the Museum Building in Trinity. This is the home of the Geology department and is not open to the public. You might be able to sneak in for a quick look. But SPAB Ireland had organised permission to sketch, and it felt extra special to be able to take our time and sketch the amazing architecture of this Ruskinian Gothic Revival building, with its arches and pillars and its double-dome, and the carvings by the O'Shea brothers.
So amazing, and also intimidating. Definitely a case of sensory overload and where do I start to sketch all of this! So, rather than do one big sketch, I did several smaller ones, focussing on details that interested me. The double-page spread is a little all over the place, but it's a record of what I saw. And I certainly hope we'll be able to sketch there again!


We met up for a bite to eat in KC Peaches on Nassau Street afterwards, and to look at each others' sketchbooks. By that time, I was fully warmed up (artistically) and I had fun sketching the lampshades, my food and Gissella from SPAB Ireland, who had organised the outing. This was a great opportunity to practise Liz Steel's teachings of 1. sketching all day (not quite!) and 2. thinking about sketchbook layouts. I'm never one to do just one sketch, but this has really taught me to push myself beyond my usual time-limit. Plus I'm not great at social chit chat, so sketching food and people is a great way to relax into the social aspect of urban sketching!


No comments:

Post a Comment