Monday, November 11, 2019

Fountain pen over watercolour

When I don't have time for much else, I can always make 10 minutes to practise a technique that intrigues me. In this case, I would really like to practise this Liz Steel method of shape first, line second. Well, I've also seen Inma Serrano using this, so it's not just Liz Steel's, but you know what I mean.
I often start my sketches with line, and then end up colouring in with watercolour. I want to sketch in a looser style, and I think the reverse approach will work for me, particularly for complex subjects.

My main concern was that the ink would go all over the place, but as you can see, it actually creates interesting effects. Now wether or not that will work in Ireland in November is a different matter. But worth exploring all the same.


So I applied this technique to a view of the Museum Building that I photographed last week. I sketched from the photo. And I don't know if it's because I'd already sketched that view before or because I started with shadow shapes, or indeed because I was working from a photo, but I found it much easier to grasp the shapes and details than when I started with pen. It also helped me to simplify.


And yes, Sumi is still my assistant photographer!



No comments:

Post a Comment