Monday, August 26, 2019

Life Drawing - Jennifer

Really enjoyed the evening of life drawing - Jennifer was the model, and she takes her job really seriously. I always love drawing her. This time, I brought my Viarco ArtGraf Tailor Shapes - I used an ochre and a sanguine, trying out different ways of using them as the class went on. Initially, I tried to draw with the side of the shape, and then add water to dilute the pigment. That worked out ok for the shorter (1-minute) poses. But then I diluted the pigment with plenty of water, applied with a brush and then tried to darken the shadow areas with less diluted pigment, still using a brush. In the end, I used very diluted pigment to draw and paint, adding an extra layer for shadows, and then drawing directly with the shape to tighten the overall figure. I don't have them in chronological order, so you'll have to guess which is which! 

I really think I have found my tool of choice for life drawing. I don't particularly like charcoal, as it makes me too hesitant, knowing that I can erase and fix things actually is a hindrance for me. I love watercolours, but there isn't enough time in a 5- or 10-minute pose to glaze layers. One factor I'll have to assess in future is the ambient temperature - it was a warm night and maybe that's why the colour dried quickly on the page. I'll try it on a cooler evening this week. But assuming it all goes well, the ArtGraf tailor shape is very much the all-in-one tool for me. 












No comments:

Post a Comment