Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Amsterdam - Part 1

It may have seemed like I disappeared off the face of the earth. Not the case - I was at the Urban Sketchers Symposium in Amsterdam, having the time of my life, and experiencing Europe's latest heat wave!

It's going to be a while before I get a chance to go through all the photos I took, let alone post them here. So I'll start with my sketchbooks, which is really what the trip was all about. Well, sketching and catching up with friends, including my dear friend Deb from Perth, Australia.

I travelled a few days ahead of the Symposium so I would have time to settle and get familiar with the city before things got hectic. My husband took the opportunity to take a mini-break with me and we enjoyed the city as tourists. But my sketchbook was always there at the ready!

So let's start with a few airport sketches. I still can't figure out how to sketch planes, so I focused on passengers in the airport terminal.




Day 1 - sketching already. One of the correspondents for the Symposium, Orling from Santo Domingo, had arrived even earlier than me and had posted on the Symposium Facebook page about a great sketching location - the OBA library, overlooking the Nemo Science Museum. So after checking the route from our AirBnB to Zuiderkerk, the venue for the Symposium, we made our way there. My husband loves photography, so he was happy to go off on his own for an hour or so while Deb and I sketched. We met up for lunch afterwards and ate the cutest and tastiest mini-sandwiches in a café overlooking the Chinese boat/restaurant. Didn't sketch either the food or the view. My husband and I then went for a little stroll and decided to take a boat tour. We found a small boat with a lovely all-female crew, and we enjoyed seeing the city for 75 minutes from the canals. As it was a hop-on hop-off cruise, we even stopped at a location for 10 minutes, enough time for me to stand up and do a quick sketch!




No comments:

Post a Comment