Thursday, August 29, 2019

Hot Chocolate and teapot


I'm getting back into a normal rhythm after a wonderful summer. The hardest part is to keep on sketching. So I grab every chance I get. Even if it's only to go to our local café, HX46,  and paint what's in front of me - and yes, I did ask the manager if she could give me one of the pretty teapots to paint, although I was having a hot chocolate. I had also asked for salt and pepper, but all they had was plastic grinders that didn't look that great, so I didn't sketch these. I think the manager was relieved to see that I didn't add pepper to my hot chocolate!!

This was an assignment for #SketchingNowOnLocation, trying to use lots of different watercolour techniques in the one little sketch. Next time I draw a glass or water bottle, I will try to paint a lot more watery than I did here. I was happy with the teapot and hot chocolate, cup and saucer, though.

Plus I did it all in direct watercolour - no drawing beforehand. I really had to think about the shapes and how to keep the whites and how to overlap the objects. I started with the hot chocolate itself, which means I could start drinking it before it got cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment