Sunday, August 11, 2019

Amsterdam - Part 5

26th of July according to my sketchbooks. A hot busy day with both a workshop and a demo.  And then an early drink and not draw at Amstelhoeck.

Every day starts at Zuidekerk with an information session (stay cool, drink lots of fluids, etc). Since I had already sketched the beautiful bell tower, I decided to sketch some more bicycles while waiting for the doors to open. I was still very much in the mood of Uma Kelkar's workshop the previous day! I messed up the trees a bit, but for someone who always shied away from drawing bicycles, I was really getting into the spirit of the Symposium - sketch often, sketch always!



The workshop today was with Reham Ali, a wonderful artist from Alexandria in Egypt. I had seen her work before last year's Symposium, in Porto, and I loved how her paintings take an unusual perspective. I really loved how she structured her workshop, and explained and demonstrated her process, and got us to practise in two phases. It was a lot to assimilate, but it really resonated with me. And rather than be crazy hot in the sun, I sat at a café, ordered two cool drinks, and sketched away!




The demo in the afternoon was with Ian Fennelly, completely different style, but also an amazing person who can break down his process and make it accessible to a wide audience, telling a few funny stories from Liverpool all at the same time.

After a quick run to my Airbnb to drop my bags, it was already time to meet the Dublin gang at Amstelhoeck, the designated drink and draw café. I didn't stay long, but it was good to catch up with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment