Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Amsterdam - Part 7

28th of July, Sunday. Waking up to the news of the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong turning sour. That's a serious dark cloud over the plans for next year. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

But apart from that, it's just so nice to have a full day with no plans.
Deb and I decide to go sketching in the Artis area, near the botanic gardens, where Pat joins us. And we see our first heron of the week!




A really laid back morning, followed by a visit to an art gallery where we talk to the artist/owner who tells us all about his tools. Then a gorgeous lunch in a nearby café, and apple pie. Kate joins us for a bit.

We all go our separate ways. There is a feeling of an ending to our big adventure. But we're not ready to lay down our tools yet! I stroll for a bit and decide to go back to Kapitein Zeppos, where a friendly sketcher, Birgit from Germany, invites me to her table and we sketch each other, soon joined by Deb and Pat. Quite the portrait party! I love those random encounters that turn into one of the best moments of the week!



By the end of the afternoon, Birgit has to leave and we decide to stay for prinks and dinner. Kate has joined us. Two glasses of rosé later, I am very giggly. But I love the Dutch herring dish so much that I'm happy to eat two portions when Kate realises it's raw fish (well, it's cured with salt).
A wonderful end to a wonderful day to a wonderful week. I feel so lucky to be part of the Urban Sketchers family!

No comments:

Post a Comment