Saturday, August 31, 2019

My minimum sketching kit


Another assignment for #SketchingNowOnLocation. This is something I don't normally enjoy, but it was sunny on Saturday and I sat outside for a bit and drew everything carefully, then added colour, then shadows. Not exactly to scale, but close enough!

The Lamy Joy is a relatively new addition. But the Sailor Fude (55 degrees bent nib) has been my favourite pen for at least a year.

And here are the colours I use (which you'll find in the next sketch). I use mostly Daniel Smith and Schmincke tube colours, but also some Sennelier. I buy empty pans and half pans and I stick them in an old empty metal palette. There are a few in this set I haven't used recently (Piemontite Genuine, Goethite, and Perylene Maroon), but then again, I could be painting red brick buildings tomorrow and I'd be glad I have them in my set. But maybe I need room for some stronger colours, like Permanent Alizarin Crimson and Indigo? Difficult decisions, but what really matters is that I can mix a good variety of lights, darks, transparents, opaques and granulating colours, and this choice of colours definitely does that!!


No comments:

Post a Comment