Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Life Drawing - watercolours and pen sketch

After our charcoal warmups, we actually got to draw the two models together. Was it more difficult or less? I'm not sure. On the one hand, you have to capture two different people, bodies, personalities in the same amount of time you'd have for one. On the other hand, you can use the negative space between them to help you see the shapes better.
In my case, a further complication as I moved to watercolours at that stage, and the two models had very different skin tones.


This is the one I'm happiest with - We did a ten-minute drawing, then we had a break, and after the break we have the choice of continuing with the same pose for 15 minutes. I use that time to paint.

While my paint was drying, I sketched with a Sailor Fude in one of my sketchbooks. This was probably 10/15 minutes. Lots of mistakes and distortions. Plus it was hard to sketch while standing with my sketchbook on my arm.


I brought two watercolour blocks, so for the last pose (10 or 15 minutes?), I went straight to watercolour. That paper is rough watercolour paper, so the paint can skip, like it did on the left arm of the girl on the left. I think I should stick to cold pressed paper for this.
They look like they're sitting on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment