Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Fountain pens and inks

When I was in school, I never cared much for fountain pens. I always ended up with ink on my middle finger. And I think you can still see the shape of the fountain pens indented in my finger, right beside the nail. Yes, I used to grip my fountain pen. And I still do. That is one of the habits I have found the hardest to fight in my attempt to draw more loosely.

For years, I didn't own one. Biros, Ballpoint markers, computer, ...  these were my writing tools. I didn't draw you see. I was always too busy. I found that the only time I could really dedicate to art was between Christmas and New Year. And even then, other obligations would often be in the way.

Thankfully in the last few years, I have made more time for drawing. And my weapon of choice is the fountain pen. I have a few that I love:

Lamy Safari: one of the first fountain pens I bought, and still an old favourite. Simple, reliable, works with watersoluble and waterproof inks (I use DeAtramentis inks mostly for waterproof ink, but also a lovely grey ink called Thea by Rohrer & Klingner that I bought in Porto - crazy when I think of it, that I travelled home with a bottle of ink and a wonderful watercolour painting in my suitcase - I had packed everything as securely as I could, and everything made it home safely, but it could equally have gone terribly wrong).

Sailor Fude: this Japanese bent-nib fountain pen is the one I use the most these days, particularly for working with watercolours. My favourite is the 55 degrees one for more expressive lines, although the 40 degrees pen is pretty good too. Watersoluble and waterproof inks both work in these no problem. But if you have waterproof ink in your pen, remember to use it regularly or it will get clogged up. This applies to all pens of course!

Pilot Kaküno: another Japanese pen - this one was recommended to me by a fellow-urban sketcher. The Kaküno is really cheap, and it's got a smiley face on the nib. It's designed for children. But I love its fine line, and the choice of colours available!

Pilot Prera: an impulse purchase - a little more expensive than the Kaküno, but still very reasonable. It feels more grown-up. And glides smoothly on the page. A little bit sorry now that I didn't get the calligraphy nib! I also got three bottles of ink - it was a difficult choice, as all the colours are so beautiful!

What's your favourite pen?

No comments:

Post a Comment