Saturday, November 10, 2018

Seoul Elevated Greenway

One thing I found about Seoul is that it has a lot of green areas - a big park around Seoul Tower, quiet green areas near the canal that stretches through the city, and the wonderful elevated greenway near Seoul Station. It's called the Skygarden, and you can see why if you click on the link. We discovered it by pure chance really, on our way to somewhere else. It's a great location for sketching. I wasn't in touch with Urban Sketchers Seoul, as we only had two full days in Seoul. We had planned 4 nights/3 days, but our flight from Ōsaka was delayed by a day because of Typhoon Trami. It would have been nice to have an extra day, but we managed to pack in quite a bit and we certainly plan to go back at some stage!

Apparently, this used to be a big highway crossing over major roads and railway tracks, but it was found to be unsafe, and was converted to a greenway - plants and trees are sorted in alphabetical order, and there are lots of pianos dotted around - with local people and visitors, young and old, availing of the facility!!

"She's figure out.
All her doubts were someone else's point of view.
She. Green Day"
It's a song actually, I'd never heard it before. But I liked the quote.


Did you know what rice actually looks like before it reaches your supermarket shelf? Well, I didn't

Panorama view


There were even little ponds, and even turtles (I can't seem to find the picture of the turtles). I always loved turtles, and tortoises too. My tortoises, Caroline and Iphigénie, lived happy lives - I would spend days following them in the garden in the summer, feeding them plantain. One of them ran away and was found at the other end of the village - my grand-father had written our address on its shell in paint! My turtles, whose names I can't remember, sadly, didn't live such happy lives - we only had a little aquarium/vivarium, and when I changed the water, which wasn't often enough, I sometimes used cold water. They went blind in the end.



There are little turrets you can walk up to so you get an even higher view





I did sketch of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment