Monday, November 26, 2018

It's Snails, Jim, but not as we know it.

I still have lots of bits about Japan that I wanted to share with you, but at this stage, I'm barely keeping up with day-to-day life, so it's going to have to be quick!

If you're squeamish about your food, leave this page. But it's probably too late already, as your eye has glanced down the page and seen the pictures below!

I am Belgian. I have been eating snails all my life. I have eaten lamb's brains, and frogs' legs, and plenty other delicacies!

But a snail this big? Never! My Japanese friend was keen that we try foods that we might not know to order on our own! I have to admit that when I pulled the snail out of its shell, the dangly bits didn't look too appetising to me! So what did I do? I ate it of course, starting with the dangly bits, which were actually the tastiest, softest part of the whole thing - the foot was a little chewy, but I managed - with the help of a glug of umeshū! I'm glad I tried it. Would I order it again? 多分



A few days later, we were presented with another snail, much smaller and daintier. おいしい


No comments:

Post a Comment