Tuesday, November 06, 2018

The Freemasons' Hall


Last Sunday, one of our volunteers organised a wonderful location for Dublin Sketchers: The Freemasons' Hall! Despite the fact that it's open to the public (every week day during the summer and by appointment the rest of the year), it's one of those places that's shrouded in mystery in the mind of most Irish people! There's always long queues on Culture Night!

We were made to feel very welcome, and were allowed in the museum on the ground floor and all the meeting rooms on the 1st and 2nd floor. And we were even given a printed guide with information about each of the rooms, and about what the freemasons are about. No secrecy, no mystery. And anyone can apply to join (well, if you're a man, that is - the Grand Lodge in Ireland is one of the more traditional lodges).



As you can see from my sketches, I was so dazzled by everything that I couldn't concentrate on one single room and draw it all. I started a line, and then continued, going from one detail to the next. And then I'd go to the next room, and the next one, ...

But believe me, I want to go back again and again and spend time in each room. I certainly hope we will be invited again!

I did the four sketches in pen only, and although I am tempted to add colour, I think it's probably better I leave these pages alone. (Pens used are Pilot Kaküno, Pilot Prera, Sailor Fude 40, Sailor Fude 55 and Lamy Safari - more or less my whole collection!)



No comments:

Post a Comment