Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Life Drawing - Fude

After lots and lots of 1-minute and 5-minute drawings that seemed to go in a flash - I was still struggling with understanding this model's shapes-, we moved to the longer poses. My plan all along had been to go to watercolour. I had brought a watercolour block with me and minimum supplies.



But there wasn't going to be a long pose tonight, instead, a series of 10-minutes and 15-minutes. So I had to alternate between watercolour and pen in order to give my paints enough time to dry before going to the next page in my watercolour block. I was glad I had brought my A4 sketchbook and my Sailor Fude pen (with a gorgeous grey waterproof ink, a Rohrer & Klingner sketchINK, in a colour called Thea, which I bought in Porto). 

Not all drawings were successful. At times, I felt I had bitten more than I could chew. I even got so frustrated with one of my attempts that I started sketching the people in the background, to make the drawing more urban sketchy. Not very successfully. It all felt a bit overwhelming. But I stuck to it.

This morning, I decided to add shading to the background, using the same ink, slightly diluted and applied with a brush. Somehow, it seemed to bring everything together. As a double-page spread, I'd even venture as far as calling it a success! Never too self-critical. That's me!



No comments:

Post a Comment