Thursday, August 23, 2018

Sandymount Green

I chatted to so many people while sketching this view! A nice gentleman told me that the renovated castle (now to let) I was sketching was connected with the poet WB Yeats, and that when the current owners bought it, they found dry rot everywhere, and had to spend quite a bit of money making it habitable again. He also told me that the little blue house (the one on the left in my sketch) was sold a while back but it looked like it was a house that would need a bit of work. He also said that the yellow house to the left of that (just a bit of wall at the very left of my sketch) used to be a hotel and it was for sale. Many people, old and young, stopped on their way to see what I was doing. I'm always glad to have a chat and show my work. Most people saw it when it was still just a pencil sketch. I did some basic measuring, working structurally from left to right, and checking my angles often. I omitted the new trees planted in front of the door of the castle, as I felt they were obstructing the view too much. I was lucky that the cars parked in front moved, and I was able to see the base of the wall. Plus I'm really bad at drawing cars, so it would have ruined my sketch!

This was the last page of one of my sketchbooks, so I wanted to do something a bit different from my usual loose and colourful style. The very first sketch in this book is the cherry blossoms, back in May. Maybe I just wanted to prove that I can draw architecture? 


No comments:

Post a Comment