Friday, August 10, 2018

Lagrasse

I have attempted to paint this scene several times in the past. Funnily enough, I can't find any trace of these attempts on my blog. They must have been worse than I remember (I remember them as quite bad!).
So, when coming back from Porto, I decided to paint it again, this time, using what I had learned from Shari Blaukopf at her workshop on capturing colour, light and shadow in narrow streets! And here is the result!
For me, it brings back memories of walking these quiet streets in the heat of a late morning. Seeing the mountains in the distance. Looking forward to a nice lunch. And thinking about people who live there, how lucky they are to live in such a beautiful spot. But then I'd think of the practicalities, how far they are from cities, hospitals, universities. I often have this notion that if I lived in a drier and warmer climate, I would paint more, sketch more, that I would be inspired every day. But that's not how life works. And I do manage to fit in quite a bit of painting and sketching into my life, so no complaints there!

No comments:

Post a Comment