Sunday, August 12, 2018

People at work - trying to apply some things I learned in Porto

What happens when nobody's working? You draw what's there. Better than nothing!

Sunny days in Ireland mean catching up on vitamin D. It will be grey and wet soon enough.

Done in my Diário Gráfico sketchbook by Firmo. Works nice with a brush pen. The paper is 160g so you can't go crazy with watercolour, but the format is handy for quick sketches while travelling, so I think I will pack it in my suitcase for our next trip!
Trying to capture actions - in this case, pouring rice into a pan. Not very dynamic. Need more practise!
The following two sketches were attempts at capturing gestures using a waterbrush pen filled with ink and water. Done in a watercolour sketchbook from a photograph. Can you guess where this was?


After a few frustrating attempts, I decided to go back to Suhita Shirodkar's Craftsy class and try to copy how she sketches. Much more dynamic! Despite being done on cheap paper!
Then I found a random video on YouTube and paused the image to try and sketch the action! The video was basically training for men on how to look confident, using clips from various movies and TV series (Entourage and James Bond were two that I recognised). Pretty lame, as the purpose of the video is to help men attract women, but it was useful to me in that the clips showed the full body in motion, not just head and torso! If I rewatch the 7 seasons of Buffy and 5 seasons of Angel and sketch in the process, I'll probably catch some good action shots - there's a thought!


2 comments:

  1. You're super-hard on yourself: those first sketches are great. It's just MUCH harder to capture dynamism in sitting/resting figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Suhita. It means a lot to me! Sorry for not replying sooner - somehow I missed lots of comments from the last few months!

      Delete