Thursday, July 07, 2016

Dublin Sketchers Temple Bar

A lovely outing with Dublin Sketchers last Sunday. The whole Temple Bar area was very busy, as Dublin is full of tourists at this time of the year. I chose a quiet little corner - from upstairs in the Gallery of Photography - a couple of benches overlooking the square below. A good safe spot to sketch from - no risk of bag snatchers or other scammers. And also a fantastic exhibition running until the end of August I think, photographs by Pieter Hugo - stunning!

I struggle with perspective and measuring, so I really had to concentrate to draw this - rather than taking the easy option and doing several quick sketches, I stuck to the one this time. As I draw straight in marker or pen, I can't erase wrong or wonky lines, but that's part of the challenge for me.


Next time, I must try one of the tips I got from Mary: start with the sky, drawing the negative space of the sky behind the buildings. Once you get that right, everything else will fall into place. 

I'll have to deal with the fact that I can't fit everything onto the page some other time (I should bring a little view-finder for that purpose, just to get started)


No comments:

Post a Comment