Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Colour mixing

I recently acquired a few new colours for my watercolour palette:

  • Transparent Pyrrol Orange (PO71 - Daniel Smith)
  • Pyrrol Red (PR254 - Daniel Smith)
  • Green Apatite Genuine (Daniel Smith)
  • Cobalt Teal Blue (PG50 - Daniel Smith)

What prompted this exploration of new pigments?, you might wonder. Well, I came across an excellent article by Grahame Booth in Artists & Illustrators about choosing new pigments for his palette, and what mixes were particularly interesting.

I've tried out a few of his suggestions below, and I was delighted with the results. The only disappointment was that Daniel Smith's Cobalt Teal Blue is exactly the same pigment, PG50, as Schmincke's Cobalt Turquoise, which I already had.

PS: you can get Artists  & Illustrators online via your local library (in Ireland - I don't know about the rest of the world) - you need a library card and you log on to a site on your ipad, then you can open the magazine via Zinio.




No comments:

Post a Comment