Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Invisalign - last day

It's been a while - 15 months and a few days to be - somewhat - precise (that's where you know I'm not Asperger's - I actually don't know the exact number of days since the 3rd of November 2014).

But I've finally reached the final day of my Invisalign!

It was supposed to take 6 months. But on week 18, something went wrong (one tooth started going in the wrong direction, as the aligner wasn't catching it properly at the back), and I needed to go back to square one with a new set. With a break of a few months, as my holidays and the orthodontist's holidays were clashing and we couldn't get an appointment for new imprints any sooner.

And I thought the endless cycle of brushing and flossing and Tepeing the teeth, and brushing the Invisalign trays after every meal, every snack, every cup of tea, would never end. Actually, it was a great way to lose weight (that and walking a big dog twice a day) - I simply stopped snacking, and cups of tea. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

But end it did. And here I am! Delighted with my new smile. Spot the difference!

Before:


After:


And then Willow decided to join me, so that's why you're getting these bonus pictures:





A couple of things they don't tell you before you start:

  1. It hurts the gums for the first couple of months (dental wax helps).
  2. It's tedious, as you have to wear the aligners 22 hours a day, and you have to brush, floss etc. after everything you eat. Add an extra 15 minutes after every meal or snack. 
  3. Forget about eating a nice square of dark chocolate after a meal, as you'll have to brush your teeth straight away and you'll replace the rich chocolate flavour by toothpaste flavour.
  4. You cannot keep the aligners in when eating anything or drinking hot or sweet or alcoholic drinks
  5. You feel the pressure of the aligners as it pushes your teeth in place, but that doesn't hurt
  6. And when you think you're done, you'll need to wear retainers every night for the rest of your life (but I knew that)
  7. You might have to wear a little holding bar for a couple of months after you're done to stop the teeth from moving straight back to their original position (that's no big deal, I think)
  8. You will have to wear the retainers full-time for a month. So that's an extra month of brushing, flossing and no snacking. I didn't know that. What a bummer. Just as well it's lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment