Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Apple and Walnut Strusel Cake

I tried another of Aine McAteer's new recipes at the weekend - an apple and walnut streusel cake. A lot of ingredients. But very easy to make. And very very tasty. I think my topping wasn't quite as crumbly as it was supposed to be, but once baked in the oven, it all tasted perfect.

The term streusel is apparently associated with "strewn", referring to the sprinkling of the topping onto the cake. My topping was more like a paste (think peanut butter), and it wasn't easy to spread onto the very elastic cake batter. Maybe it's because I used standard (unsalted) butter instead of vegan butter. I was a bit concerned about the amount of butter I put into the topping, but BB loved it, so there was definitely no taste of butter after the time in the oven.

Believe me, it tasted better than it looks - though I have to say its appearance is pretty similar to the one on the "Joy of baking" website. Not bad for someone who only a few days ago didn't even know what streusel cake was.

No comments:

Post a Comment