Monday, September 11, 2023

Tools of the trade

I do love talking about my process and art supplies. So I thought some of you may be interested in the tools I use in my paintings.

Let's start with paper and brushes. I have lots of different papers that I have accumulated over the years, but my favourite is Saunders Waterford, 300gsm, cold press. This one here is natural white, but to be honest, next time I'm buying paper, it will be bright white. Normally, I buy full sheets, which I cut myself into half and quarter. A half sheet is about 53x35cm, plus a margin of about 1cm all around.

Some of the paper I have is 640gsm (that's grams per square meter to you and me). Much less buckling, something particularly important when you use a lot of water, like I do. But I have a good bit of lighter paper I have to use up before I allow myself to buy more!!

I don't stretch my paper. I just use masking tape to fix to a Coroplast sheet. The ones I use are cut from an old electoral poster that I found on the street after a storm a few years ago, and posters for an event I took part in, maybe 5 years ago. Coroplast is sturdy, and light. And I don't see the need to buy more plastic, when I can use something that was going to go to the bin anyway!

As for brushes, I have many. But my workhorses are da Vinci Casaneo mops. The bigger, the better. They are synthetic fibres and they are so sturdy, they hold a lot of water for big washes, and they can give a fine point when you need it. I do 90% of my painting with them. I'm not a delicate painter, but I do look after them well. I have had them for years. They were recommended to me by Uma Kelkar, one of the most amazing watercolour artists I know. Some day, I will write a post about the artists that I follow. Uma will be top of the list!



No comments:

Post a Comment