Sunday, September 03, 2023

Papers and washes

I have all the paintings for my exhibition ready now (going to the framers soon), so now I have given myself permission to play and explore different ways of painting for the next few months. So don't expect any finished pieces, just watercolour doing its thing on paper, with colours that are not usually in my palette!

For this one, the watercolour refused to diffuse evenly into the clear water, creating these tree shapes instead. The sun was shining and it was quite warm in my little room, so the paper was drying quickly. Plus I was trying paper from a block that I hadn't used in a while. I think it's the Winsor and Newton. I need to experiment more with it to see how far the fibers will carry the paint. I quite like it.


No idea what paper I used for this one. I think I picked up paper from the shelf behind me, which would be some Jackson's own brand that I bought before Brexit. This is how we will date things in future. Before Brexit, Before Covid, Before the war in Ukraine. Anyways, I really like the effect. But I have too many variable. Next time, I will be more methodical about what paper I use. And also what pigments. I was just picking up pigments from my dirty palette. But, hey, I'm playing!


This one was on Arches rough paper. I kept trying to pull the paint down with water to give the effect of rain, but the whole wash kept coming down. I do like the light at the top right of the mountain, though. 


This one also on Arches rough paper, a small square block. I clearly hadn't read the measurements right when I ordered it. The blue is a mix of all sorts of leftovers that I have put in a jar, rather than throwing the paint down the sink.


No comments:

Post a Comment