Sunday, September 17, 2023

St Catherine's


Another sketch done while I was still able to roam free around Dublin. The location chosen was St Catherine's church on Thomas street. But I'm not good at sketching other people's choices. So I went to St Catherine's on Meath Street instead. I knew there was a grotto at the back and I wanted to get off the busyness of a sunny day in Dublin. It was perfect. There was shade, a bench, peace and quiet. And a constant stream of locals who came to the grotto to pray. One lady told me that the courtyard used to be full of used needles from drug abusers. She went on to say she knew a young man, Wayne, who died at the age of 22, from drugs. She found him on the street. His aunt arrived a few minutes later, but there was nothing they could do to save him. So sad. His grandmother had lost 4 children to drugs, and now a grand-son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment