Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Tools of the trade, paints

I have lots of paint tubes. Let's start with that statement! I'm a watercolour painter, so of course, I find it hard to resist interesting colours and pigments. I have a few favourite brands - Daniel Smith, Holbein, Schmincke, Sennelier. It's more to do with the fact that I know what to expect from specific colours in these brands, and I just stick to what I know. The most important thing if you want beautiful watercolours is to use professional pigments, reduce the amount of pigments you use in any one painting, and, unlike the example below, keep your palette clean!

If I had to choose just a few for a desert island retreat, it would be DS Hansa Yellow Medium, Monte Amiata Natural Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Quinacridone Rose, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Umber, Holbein Cerulean Blue, Neutral Tint. And a Cobalt Turquoise.

And the importance of keeping your tubes organised. Recently, I wasted precious time looking for a particular colour. Can't even remember what it was. But now, I have my tubes sorted in blues, yellows, reds, greens, darks and neutrals. 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment