Friday, September 29, 2023

Back to what makes me happy

Direct Watercolour and urban sketching are the two art forms that make me happy. I don't know why I keep trying other things. But I guess that if you don't try, you'll never know. 

So I'm back to exploring the landscapes of New Zealand's South Island. As I was the driver for only a short part of the journey last April, I took a lot of photos and videos while I was the passenger. The scenery was amazing. And the sun was shining a lot of the time. When we got back to Ireland, I was entirely focused on painting for my solo exhibition, for which I was exploring the Irish landscape. I'm going to spend a little while with the New Zealand landscape now and see where it leads me.

For these two, I went straight to quarter sheet, working very wet, pushing and pulling pigment using a wet brush or two. It was fun!

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and flatten one of them, using a technique I have just learned. Wish me luck. Oh, and I need to add a line in the middle of the road, or it looks too much like a river!



Some close-ups that I like:







No comments:

Post a Comment