Thursday, December 01, 2022

The Smithfield Sessions

The Smithfield Sessions was an event organised with Dublin City Council and we were lucky that the person who was choosing the locations for Dublin Sketchers for this month was interested in providing us with a live experience and an opportunity to sketch people. And this was a free event, set in large marquees in Smithfield.  I had a fantastic afternoon and I felt so energised by it!

First, I went to the small marquee, where a traditional Irish music workshop was in progress. The teacher, Zoe Conway, was teaching tunes to a number of fiddle, flute and accordion players. I haven't a clue about music, and it was fascinating to see how quickly her students (mostly teenage girls, but also some older people) were able to pick up the elements of each tune and then put it together. 


I was fascinated by how each person holds their violin slightly differently, but mostly, I was looking at their hands and trying to keep track of the gestures.


Even a young baby was enjoying the music. She was probably 6 months or 9 months, and she was clapping her hands to the music. I found it extraordinary. But then again, I know nothing about babies' development stages and she might have been a year old, for all I know.


Donal Lunny was there throughout and at the end, he went on stage and played a polka with Zoe Conway. I was all so fast that this is as much as I managed to sketch!


Then it was all done and time to go to the larger marquee and sketch the jazz musicians!

First onstage was Aleka, a wonderfully-talented young woman with a virtuoso voice. It was fun to sketch the band and a couple of the people in the audience.


Next on stage was Matthew Halpin and his band. I wonder is he related to Claire Halpin? And again, I got completely obsessed with how the hands were placed on the instrument. I didn't have the best spot, so I kept sketching the lead guy, Matthew, over and over.


 I didn't get to take any photos on location. Here are some of the sketches as they were at the time. I was able to deploy my watercolours at the jazz concert, but not at the trad workshop.




No comments:

Post a Comment