Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Capel Street

Jack Nealon's pub on Capel Street. 
I can't believe I still didn't go in this time!
Well, it took me a while to settle into my sketching. I was a bit flustered when I arrived. You know how I am when things don't work exactly to plan! I spent a bit of time walking up and down the street in search of what I wanted to sketch. There are a few interesting buildings on Capel Street, but I didn't feel like drawing a terrace of shops. I wanted a corner so I could have a bit more volume. I was going to work in watercolours, but there was only a small spot on the bench that was dry, which left nowhere to place my palette. So I decided to go for pen and Ecoline marker only. It took me a good while to relax. But now I'm happy with how it worked out.



I looked for a second location, but then ended up just going to the pub to meet the others. I sketched the strangers who were clinging to their tables as we took over the upstairs in the Boar's Head (nice pub actually). I changed Priyanka's nose (and most of her features - I've learned not to worry about getting a likeness!!). We chatted a lot. It felt festive. It felt good.



Pat took a few pictures of me while I was sketching. Next time, I want to include more context in the sketch - that hoarding looks really interesting! And the fact that the street is pedestrianised, but bicycles on steroids (mmm, battery) can zoom through, which makes no sense to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment